3/18/2011

Color Events and Spring Break Memories

Jay Maisel is one of my photographic heroes. His teaching focuses on Light, Gesture, and Color. I still remember reading a Popular Photography article he wrote where he focused on what he called "color events." That was way back in the spring of 1986, my 10th grade year, on my first chorus tour, when I start paying attention to one of the seniors named Julie Sloop. She was wearing this cute blue-green outfit and I told her she looked like a "color event." I was a nerd even back then. We were in Texas and that particular day we were both riding on the van instead of the bus. That was 25 years ago this spring break. I had no idea what was beginning in my life that day. Julie and I have been happily married for the last 20 years and we have 5 beautiful kids. I have worked for Harding University as a photographer for the last 19.5 years.

I am so very thankful for the things God continually puts in my life, today it was this beautiful flower, 25 years ago it was my future wife.




The Bible says in James 1:17 that " Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights."

Psalms 85:12 "The LORD will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest."

Look around and I bet like me you will be thankful for the people and things that God has put in your life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura and I had a very similar start. I didn't tell her she looked like a color event, but I probably said something that was equal to that. You never know when meeting someone for the first time how they might figure into your life!