5/09/2008

King Kong



Last night when we came home from the four baseball/softball games everyone got baths and got in bed because it was a school night. I was folding a load of laundry and flipping channels looking for CSI which wasn't on because it was 9pm not 8pm like I was thinking. I checked all the other possible CSI channels like TNN, A&E, Spike and whatever other channels I sometimes find CSI on. I only watch Las Vegas and Miami never New York. But while channel surfing I found the 1976 version of King Kong. I saw this movie when it was in the theaters in 1976. I was 7 years old and I remember seeing the movie at the Raleigh Springs Mall in Memphis, TN. I really wanted to see the movie but there was some discussion between my parents about whether or not Kelly was too little to see a scary movie. Kelly was 2 yrs old and Alan was 3 years old. Well we decided to see it and my Mom would hold Kelly and cover his eyes if he got too scared. Well when King Kong came out and was trying to break the gate down Alan got scared and started crying. My Dad was holding Alan. Kelly looked over at Alan and said "I knew Alan was a baby." I remember sitting down on the right side of the theater between the isle and the wall. I remember watching the movie, I don't remember if we had popcorn or not. I wonder if I remember Kelly's quote or if I just remember my parents talking about it? Well now that I've got that memory out lets talk about the movie. I picked it up last night after Kong had the girl. I was stunned at the sexual content of the movie and partial nudity. I didn't remember that as a 7 year old. Well I watched as they caught Kong and put him in the tanker to go to the US to tour. I was working out on my Total Gym and as I rested between sets I feel asleep before he escaped climbed the buildings and was shot down by fighter planes. Other movies that I really remember as a child were: Herbie, Benji, Star Wars, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians. My Mom would ocassionally take us to movies on Sunday afternoons when my Dad was working at the Fire Station.

No comments: