9/13/2018

Remembering Botham Jean

Leading singing at Dallas West Church of Christ
I saw Botham last fall while in Dallas for a Harding Presidential Reception at the Dallas West Church of Christ.  I reached out to shake his hand and he grabbed me and gave me a hug.  It was a wonderful moment and day as we worshipped with the Dallas West Church and Botham led the singing.   

 I am so thankful that Liz Howell took this photo of Botham and me. 

Hearing of his death yesterday was shocking.  He was killed by a Dallas Police Officer.  The circumstances are very vague at the moment.  Here is a link to the story in the New York Times.  It is crazy to see your photo credit all over the major news media outlets and awful at the same time because of the story the photos are associated with.
Botham leading singing in chapel.               

This terrible tragedy leaves me with strong mixed emotions.

I want answers to why this happened, what was that officer thinking, why did she feel the need for deadly force?  We have no answers to these questions as of yet and that just leads to speculation, rumors, and nonsense.  

 I want someone to blame and I find it hard to blame a law enforcement officer without appropriate evidence.  I work with and know too many law enforcement officers and I have the highest respect for them and the job that they do. 


                    Botham singing with the Good News Singers                   
My favorite memory of Botham involves singing.  I really enjoy singing.  I would love to be a great singer but the truth of the matter is I am barely average.  I was at the Gospel Singing one night after Lectureship sitting in the back row and we were about sing Have a Little Talk With Jesus.  As we started singing Botham came and slid into the seat beside me.  I was singing bass and he was singing tenor.  It made me nervous to be sitting beside such a talented singer.  After we sang the last stanza, Botham leaned over and said "that bass line was sounding really good."  That simple word of encouragement has stuck with me. 
Botham graduated in May of 2016 at the same ceremony as my oldest daughter Jenna.  I shot his graduation photo and I even got this candid shot as we sang the Alma Mater.  As a photographer, you never know when the photos that you take will all of the sudden become so much more meaningful than just a simple candid of a friend at graduation. 

I got to watch the last part of the funeral today after I finished teaching my class.  I told my students of the power of photos in situations like this and I am thankful for the photos that I had and for others that shared photos with me.  The photos are important, but they pale in comparison to the life of this Godly man.  I thank God for Botham being my friend and I pray for peace for all of his family and friends.








No comments: