3/23/2018

Intensely Being Myself

I spent a my class period talking to my students about how there is such a big difference in knowing how to operate a camera and having something to say with your photos.  Probably the best advice I ever read about being creative and doing your best work was that you have to be yourself as intensely as possible.

I love this photo for many reasons.  The light is really nice.  The composition is strong.  The depth of field is shallow.  The color balance is vivid and warm.  Those are all nice things but what is important is the flowers are just sitting there being themselves.  Jesus said that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed as well as the flowers of the field. God created us in his image and what a beautiful thing that is.  He gave us all gifts and he called us all to be his children.  There is great beauty in all of us if we will just be ourselves. If you know me, you know that me taking photos of flowers is me being intensely myself.

This week we had Say Thanks Day at Harding.  It is a day for us to thank the donors and everyone who help make Harding the place it is.  So as I think about this past week and my experiences, I am thankful for my father in heaven, my wife and kids, my family, my friends, the people I work with, my church, the ability to see,  my cameras and flowers.

No comments: