1/09/2014

1-9-2014 A place for self-portraits




Historically, I  have had a very low opinion of self portraits. A couple of things have changed my mind lately.

First I am a huge fan of Vivian Maier and all we know about her is from the people she worked for and the photos she left and she left a large number of self portraits. I know that someday all that people will know about what I looked like will be from the photos.

Secondly, an AP photographer named Dave Martin passed away unexpectedly on the field while shooting post game shots at the Chick-Fil-A Bowl in Atlanta. Today, I watched a video that was shown at his funeral and there were several self portraits of he and his friends. I liked that he included himself working. Being a photographer I don't get too many photos of me at work and work is a big part of who I am.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not sick and I don't plan on dropping dead unexpectedly.

Today I set up my first Eye-Fi card which wirelessly transfers photos from my camera to my iPad. After twenty or so photos of the Kleenex box I thought you know maybe I should practice the self portrait thing. I liked the photo and now you've had to read a long winded post about why I am changing my opinion on self portraits. And one more thing, you can relax as I will not be going selfie crazy.

No comments: