4/21/2011

Time-Effort-Reward

If you have ever read my blog you know that Josie does everything at 100%. This includes anything she does from sidewalk chalk art, playing dolls, drawing, sleeping and playing basketball with a soccer ball. The thing is we probably have 4 or 5 basketballs in the deck box but its so much easier to just use the soccer ball that is out of the deck box.

The thing I love the most is how this series of photos shows the true Josie spirit, she will not give up until she gets what she wants and when she is successful she celebrates. I've especially seen this as she works to conquer the letter "R" is speech. I love how she will say some word that has an "R" in the middle like dork, example- "Jenna your a dork", and then she stops says dork a little slower just to make sure she gets that "R" sound correct. I love when she realizes that she made the sound correctly and she says " Hey Dad, did you hear me say dork, it has an "R" in the middle and I said it right, Yes!"

I would like to thank Jamie for the example above of the word Dork and the accompanying sentence.

I love the fact that she shoots, misses and gets her own rebound and shoots again until she scores. My photography text book suggested a similar routine to improve your photos.
Shoot a photo.
Look at the photo.
Evaluate the photo.
Shoot another photo.

As long as we are talking photography, I like these photos for another reason, as Josie was practicing basketball, I was working on Henri Cartier Bresson's idea of the Decisive Moment.

"There is a creative fraction of a second when you are taking a picture. Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. That is the moment the photographer is creative," he said. "Oop! The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone forever."

Finally, there is nothing like celebration. We both put in the time and effort and we are both rewarded.

Tonight, I am thinking of my neighbor and former secretary Pat Lawrence who lost her husband this past week. Gerald has fought the good fight, finished the race, kept the faith. He will be missed, but I imagine that there is some celebration going on up in heaven with Gerald and those who have gone on ahead of him.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Jeff, you completely rock. LOVE that last photo.

Jeff's Photos said...

Thanks Andrea.