10/22/2010

"Cooter in the Corn with Horn"



I found this photo on the back of a Readers Digest someone donated to the jail library. Before this find I was unfamiliar with Jack Spencer and his photography. I have already filled out Library Loan Requests for a couple of his books and I am eagerly anticipating their arrival.

This image captivates me on several levels.

First, I played the same horn in band. The Baritone is a beautiful horn with the rich sound of a French Horn and the range of a trombone. Speaking of trombones, Jackson has just started playing trombone in the elementry band. Looking at this picture I can almost hear Cooter playing his horn. I wish I could hear Cooter play because you know it would be amazing.

Secondly, I love this photo because it is shot in black and white and in the square format. I am not sure there is a more perfect combination than black and white square format images. The image on the Readers Digest is actually B&W and the image I found online is actually sepia toned. I am really divided between which on looks better, but I posted the sepia print so I guess I like it the best.

Lastly, I love this photo because of Cooters outfit. I love the hat and tie and coat. I wish I liked to wear ties and that I could look as good as Cooter in a hat. I feel like the only accessory I wear is a camera bag. I'm not complaining about that but camera bags just don't look as cool as Cooter does in that hat. I thought these Rugged Wear Domke bags were beautiful the very first time I saw them. All the women in my family have all commented on this bag asking me where I got it and how cute it is. I don't know if I have a girlie camera bag or if my other camera bags were just really ugly. I hope someday me and my Domke Rugged Wear Bag look as good and are as good of friends as Cooter and his Horn.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Trombones are good! Hats are good, too! I love my hat, but I haven't played my trombone in a while.

Back in our band days, did you ever think of taking your baritone out in a corn field? Never thought of that with my trombone.

Jeff's Photos said...

Well, I never did it because Jeff doesn't rhyme with corn and horn.

Andrea said...

Jeff, how does an amatuer like me print a square photo? I love the look of them, but no standard photo processing places print square prints!

Jeff's Photos said...

You can crop your photos to square and ask the lab to print the full image on a 4x6 and you should get 4X4 inch photos.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Jeff. I'll try that. Another question from a non-professional. What is a good camera for a point and shooter like myself in the $300 or less price range?