11/09/2008

Birthday Greetings from Greece


My friend Tish Elrod sent me this photo this week. This sign says Happy Birthday in Greek. Tish and her husband Dr. Mark Elrod are teaching in Hardings international program in Greece this semester. They were on a trip when my birthday came along so she sent me this late birthday greeting and photo. All I can say is that it is Greek to me.

I changed my college major over Greek. I started Harding as a Bible major. After my first semester my advisor suggested that I start the first of four semesters of Greek. I had no intension of taking Greek. I am barely able to function in English. I am such a terrible speller that sometimes spell check can't guess what I am trying to spell so i just have to add more letters until it can guess. Parts of speech and grammar might as well be Greek as far as I am concerned. The truth of the Bible major is that when I went to get my schedule for my first semester the line for undecided majors was really really long. The line for Bible majors was empty and Bible was one of the things I was considering. Well after my first semester I changed to Psychology and that is what I graduated with and I got a Bible minor.

A couple of years ago I was shooting a Bible Professor for a magazine story and he just happened to be teaching Greek. After I finished photographing I sat down in an empty chair and listened as they worked out a section in the Gospel of John. I pulled a small Bible out of my camera bag and as it turns out the class translated that greek passage word for word exactly as my english NIV bible had it. Needless to say I am sticking with my English Bible.

2 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Hope you had a great birthday!

Mark Elrod said...

I thought it said "Welcome to Greece, Professor Elrod".

Never trust Greeks, especially when they are bearing gifts.