5/30/2008

Miss Latina


May 13, 1942 - May 26, 2008


Latina Clare Dykes, a dedicated teacher affectionately known at “Miss Latina” who started two-year olds on their Bible study path for four decades and a career Harding University employee, passed away Monday, May 26. Latina was born May 13, 1942 at Hawkins Clinic in Searcy, Arkansas to John Lee Dykes and Gertrude Wilkes Dykes. She graduated from the Harding Academy and Harding University with a B.S. in Secretarial Sciences (class of 1964).


This spring, Latina was honored for 45 years of service to Harding University. She worked forty of those years for the late Lott Tucker, ultimately serving as executive secretary to his position as VP of Finance. She most recently worked in the advancement office.


Committed to Christian education and the continuation of her father’s life work, Latina provided assistance for deserving young students to attend Harding University and support for Camp Wyldewood founded by John Lee Dykes in 1948.


Memorial service will be held at 10:00 am on Saturday, May 31 at College Church of Christ. Visitation will be 6 to 8 pm Friday, May 30, at Roller-Daniel Funeral Home.

Note: I also stole this from the Alumni News Letter that Liz Howell does. I did the picture myself.

2 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

It is so sad to me that all the older people who were icons at Harding when I was in school are dying off. They gave so much of themselves to make Harding such a wonderful place and it really saddens me that the students of today and the future will not have the opportunity to know them and their kindness and wisdom - people like Latina, George Benson and his stories about Bicycle, Dr. Joe. Lott and Mae Ann Tucker, Gaylon and Deanna Smith, Elizabeth Mason and Uncle Bud - I still listen to his CD everyday in my car - that man could sing! (I know I've left someone out who was important to you or someone else...sorry) And today we learned that Peggy Baker Roper who was the secretary in the Bible department for years and years died. I know all these people have gone to meet their Master, but still, I am sad that students of today and the future won't have the opportunity to know them!

Jeff's Photos said...

Wow! I must be old because I knew all those people you mentioned. I am excited about your new Grandson.