10/29/2007

Ansel Adams 400 Photographs


Ansel Adams 400 Photographs

I never met Ansel Adams.

I do have a few Ansel Adams memories.

First, I remember knowing of AA from reading Popular Photography in High School. My brother Alan always gave me Popular Photography for my birthday because my parents made us give our siblings something for b-days. We sold magazines as a fund raiser at school and a yr of Popular Photography was only $4.99. I thought it was great and it was a gift that kept on giving.

Secondly, I remember going out West on a family vacation in rented RV's and we stopped at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite. We went to so many great locations like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco, Portland, Mt Rushmore and other places during that vacation. That year I got my first Ansel Adams book for my b-day. They got it while we were at the Gallery and i was entranced with the photos.
The Portfolios of Ansel Adams




Thirdly, I remember seeing a signed 40X50 print of Moonrise Hernandez, NM at a gallery in Santa Fe and I was totally shocked that the price tag for that print was the exact same price that we had payed for our house earlier that year.



Fourthly, AA had a 3 volume set of books that were photography classics. The Camera, The Negative, and The Print. The Negative is the classic text on the Zone System of exposure. I found all three of those books at an Outlet Mall Bookstore in Branson for $5 each and it was buy 2 and get 1 free. This was a purchase that was in the budget unlike memory # 3.



Fifthly, I saw and have a signed book, Listen to the Trees, by John Sexton who was an assistant to AA for the last few years AA was alive. John Sexton still makes prints of AA negatives for the AA Publishing Trust.

No comments: