8/28/2007

Teaching Photography and Nick Kelsh


This fall I am teaching Comm 220 Basic Photography at Harding. I have a small class and I am really excited about the semester. Tomorrow I am lecturing on the very basics of how to take photos and no one teaches that better than Nick Kelsh. I found his book How To Photograph Your Baby when Jenna was a baby. Kelsh gives three basic rules for good photography.

1. GET CLOSER: especially physically closer don't just zoom in tight move closer.

2. TURN YOUR FLASH OFF: Let the natural light sculpt the image with highlights and shadows. Kelsh suggests window light or softly diffused directional light. I apologize to all my Strobist friends,but, Kelsh says no to flash.

3. SHOOT MORE PHOTOS: the more you shoot the better photos you get, work on a variety of photos including vertical, horozontal, wide shots, tight shots, and shots from different perspectives.

2 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Have fun teaching your class! I'm sure you will. It's always fun to teach someone else about something you love and can do well.

Wally said...

Hi Jeff...Those are very good points. I tend to forget those in these days of the SUPER TELEPHOTO...I will try these suggestions next time I do a shoot. But not at a football game...I do not want to be in the face of a 6'5" 375lb lineman. :-)

I have you bookmarked now.

Thanks Jeff.